If you have not visited Hull there is a good chance there is a lot about the area and it’s quirks you do not know. As a city Hull has it’s own telephone network completely separate from the BT network elsewhere in the country

Kingston Communications – or KCom as they like to be known these days own the local phone network. As part of doing things differently, they do not use the standard red colour for telephone boxes. As such in Hull all our phone boxes (bar one) are painted cream. This fact has been recreated on What The Hull – with Humbrol 41 Ivory coloured paint purchased specially for the job.

The phone boxes all started life as Modelscene Kit number 5190 – a range now produced by Peco. Somehow along the way I have lost one sprue. As such there are now only 8 phone boxes not 9. The kit comes with three in each pack – moulded in red plastic. In theory the could just be glued together and plonked down with ease.

Modelscene 5190 – N Gauge Telephone Boxes – Pack of 3

To paint or not to paint…

I went about this project in what was possibly the wrong way. Rightly or wrongly, you decide, I painted and then glued.

As these are not 3D printed they were quite easy to paint. First a coat of primer was applied. My preference is for Railmatch universal primer (Railmatch 506).

Because of the fine detail on these boxes it is important not to drown them in paint. This was done by making sure the pressure on the airbrush was turned down to about 15psi. Consequently you get a nice light spray – and can simply cover twice if you need too.

To match KC Cream a bit of research had to be done. Finally I decided after a good period of googling Humbrol 41 was the one to go for. As I used a white primer it is slightly lighter than the paint chart suggests, which is perfect for what I wanted. Following this decision 3 lights coats were applied so as to not spoil the detail. The windows on this model are very fine, and as such very easy to clog with paint.

Finishing The Look…

To complete the look as the model is a bit crude otherwise – glass was installed. This can easily and cheaply be done on jobs like this with a bit of acetate – like the stuff that used to be used for overhead projectors in school.

Acetate can still be picked up very quickly and easily – I got a pack of 5 A5 sheets from a well known online auction site for about £2 with free P&P . And a pack of 5 A5 sheets goes a long way in N Gauge modelling.

The acetate was secured in place by a tiny amount of glue. For this I use either polystyrene cement or UHU. Apply the glue sparingly using something fine such as a toothpick or cocktail stick.

I then followed the same principle to assemble the model. Make sure you are sparing with the glue again doing this or you will have to sand down with very fine grade wet and dry paper, and spray again.